Hey guys! Finally getting around to doing this update.
February 17th ended my 16 week stretch and with each stretch period, it seems like it just gets easier and easier to do! I honestly didn’t realize it was almost time to relax until people started commenting on my new growth and I looked at my little time keeping thingy on my blog lol. I once again didn’t flat iron my hair very frequently BUT I’ve been slacking on some important hair techniques that could’ve gotten be better results. Namely, moisturizing and sealing as well as making sure to hide my ends effectively. I did do a lot of high bunning which was great because it meant that I’d just air dry my hair and call it a day! I used little to no heat on my hair wchich was awesome.
As far as the update, I asked my mom to relax my hair with ORS Olive Oil Built-In Protection No Lye Relaxer System in Normal strength. After I relaxed, washed, and DC’d my hair with the ORS Replenish pack, I applied my leave-ins and let my hair air dry almost completely; however…this time I decided to flat iron my hair simply because of laziness, which probably was NOT the best idea but my hair turned out really nice. If you look at the pics in my recent Ode to The Feisty House posts, that was the day after, but here are a few quick pics for the lazy. lol
Now for the progress update. Let’s take a look back and see if I made it to APL or not…
March 25, 2011
July 8, 2011
October 28, 2011
And now for this leg of the journey…
February 17, 2012
*sigh* I mean…I guess. I’m sorry y’all I’m just not excited that I BARELY made it past APL! And maybe it has to do with the fact that I hate my hair looking this flat (which isn’t the relaxer’s fault at all, but because I decided to wrap my hair after a few days of pin curling, which has become my holy grail technique). But I mean…*shrug*
Should I even count this as APL??? I kinda wanna go through another stretch cycle before I do. And this time really stick to my moisturizing and sealing…my DCs & PTs…and hiding my ends all to help me retain as much length as possible.
Now my next stretch is gonna be 14 weeks instead of 16 weeks, simply because of the way I want to wear my hair for a wedding I’m attending coming up at the beginning of June, so I’d like to relax the weekend before so….well yeah we’ll blog about that when the time comes lol.
But for now…that’s the progress. I’ll see you guys on May 25th! FULL APL! I’m comin’ fo’ ya!
So Oct. 28th ended my 16 week stretch and it seems like the time just FLEW by this time around! I felt that my hair was a lot easier to manage even with all the new growth that was coming in. I think what made it easier was the fact that I didn’t do a lot of manipulation when it came to styling. I probably flat ironed my hair maybe 4 times during the stretch if even that much. Most of the time when I washed my hair each week, I would air dry and put it in a bun, simply because it was easy and soooo not time consuming, and I’ve been quite busy with life over the past few months….
But anyways, on to the update. I relaxed (well my mom relaxed my hair…I still don’t trust myself to do it lol) with ORS Olive Oil Built-In Protection No Lye Relaxer System in Normal strength; that kit is truly AMAZING. I love everything that comes with it and I got absolutely no burns whatsoever, even though my scalp was itching like crazy for the past week and a half and I’m pretty sure I broke the cardinal rule of not scratching your scalp before a relaxer…smh. But thankfully, I had no adverse effects with this relaxer.
After I relaxed, washed, and DC’d my hair, I applied my leave-ins and let my hair air dry almost completely (more like I fell asleep with wet hair and woke up to really big air dried hair…smh). Then I used a new styling tool that I purchased recently:
REVLON QUICK STYLING HOT AIR KIT
I’m actually gonna be doing a more in-depth review of this product in an upcoming YouTube video. But in short, I LOVED it! Cut my drying and styling time in half! Here are some pics of the final results:
I’d say that looks like a success to me…but yeah, more details to come 🙂
Now let’s take a look at the progress!
March 25, 2011
July 8, 2011
October 28, 2011
Yay! As you can see from this pic, I am grazing APL! And this is AFTER the trim I got when I wentBACK TO BLACK for my 23rd bday. I think that’s pretty awesome! Hopefully by the time next relaxer comes I will have fully conquered APL and will be able to move on to the next milestone: BSL!
Time to embark on another 16 weeks! See you guys around February 17th! 🙂
*DON’T FORGET TO: 1. Click HEREtofollow the blog and THEN 2. ClickHEREto enter for the BIG Giveaway! *
Hey guys! Time for a hair update!!!! And I’m super duper excited to share the results with you guys!!!!
So I relaxed one week shy of 16 weeks for a few reasons: 1. My mom was home this weekend and graciously was willing to do my relaxer; 2.
The next few weeks/weekends are most likely gonna be pretty crazy/hectic getting my life together/attempting to enjoy the summer; and 3. My hair was starting to rebel ever so quietly. All in all, it was just about that time to put the relaxer in. And a 15 week stretch is NO easy feat! Especially when I almost punked out around 10 weeks. Very proud of myself for sticking it out! 🙂
This go around, I tried out a new relaxer:
Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Built-In Protection
No Lye Relaxer System
I must say that this relaxer is absolutely AWESOME! The entire kit just blows my mind with all the stuff that it has inside. The only thing that I do wish that it had was a petroleum base for my scalp and edges to protect it from getting any burns. BUT, here’s the thing, even without ANY base applied, I didn’t get ANY chemical burns on my scalp! And I definitely had a couple of itching spells throughout the preceding days. So that definitely really impressed me!
So what comes in the relaxer kit? As per Sally Beauty Supply online: Kit includes: Olive Oil Built-In Protection No Lye Relaxer, Olive Oil Built-In Protection Activator, Creamy Aloe Shampoo, Replenishing Pak Conditioner, Olive Oil Incredibly Rich Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion, Olive Oil Wrap/Set Mousse, Latex gloves, mixing stick, step-by-step guide to proper relaxing at home.
The process went very smoothly. So thankful that I have a mother of many talents…lol. I applied the relaxer, washed it out, then washed with the shampoo. Then I DC’d with the Replenishing Pak conditioner (which smells HEAVENLY BTW), then rinsed with cool water. Initially I roller set my hair…but then I got very annoyed by the heat. I’m usually pretty good with bearing the cost for the sake of flyness, but it’s summer time in the DMV, no bueno. So I got out of the dryer halfway through the process and blew my hair dry on warm air for the rest of the way. THEN I took curling iron and put some big curls into my hair. Here are the pics!
March 25, 2011
July 8, 2011
Do you guys see that??? It really is true, taking pics make the progress a lot more evident. I am definitely very excited to see that I’m well on my way to my goal of APL. I will try my best to stick to what’s been working for me (which reminds me, need to run the Split-Ender through my hair while it’s straightened….)
Here marks the beginning of another 16 week stretch! See ya around October 28!
I’ve actually been thinking about really starting an official “Hair Journey” for a little while now. And now that my first official and conscious relaxer stretch has officially ended, and so successfully at that, I really am ready to get it on and poppin’! Just to refresh your minds, and because I don’t really feel the need to retype everything (lol), here’s a little excerpt of what I’ve been thinking, as noted a few posts ago…
I’m kinda getting bored with my hair guys! Thankfully doing posts on the blog has made things a bit more interesting so I don’t do anything crazy. And while I’m still in the midst of this “Relaxer Stretch” challenge, I’m actually already thinking about another challenge for myself/my hair. I’m just in the beginning stages, putting the pieces together but just as a general overview this is what I’m thinking. I’ve had what some would think of as “long hair” and I’ve had shorter hair (pretty much by choice) but it hasn’t always been healthy. And that’s what I’ve been working on for the past year and a half or so. I think I’m pretty much pleased with the health of my hair now and I’ve learned A LOT about taking better care of it and I really can tell the difference. But now that I’m kinda getting the hang of that I want to take the next step, and for me that is challenging myself to see just how long my hair can actually grow. That for me really means babying my ends really because what I have noticed, especially during this relaxer stretch is this: I get some pretty good new growth! My problem is I DON’T take care of my ends very much at all, so whenever I go to the hair dresser I have to get a trim which pretty much cancels out any real progress that I made. So I’m gonna implement some new techniques that I’ve seen around different hair care sites such as dusting and the search and destroy method to take care of my ends. No more salon trims for me! I’m doing this by myself starting with the fresh healthy ends that I have right now! But of course that means coming up and actually sticking to an actual regimen (where consistent moisturizing and sealing will be KEY) and…buying some hair cutting scissors of my own. I got some prepping to do! But that won’t “officially” start until after this challenge is over and I’m back home. Gonna start implementing some small things now. But stay tuned for that separate post. Cuz it’s about to go down!
Well peeps, this is THAT post! It’s gonna be kinda long so bear with me. Basically, I will be attempting to see how long I can get my hair to become by just really taking care of it and doing my best to take care of my ends and retain length. I’m gonna try to do this in phases. And this is going to begin the first phase:
PHASE 1: MARCH 25, 2011 – MARCH 8/9/10, 2012
From SL to APL
SL = Shoulder Length
APL = Arm Pit Length
The reason I’m only giving the first phase is because I may not necessarily make my goal by the end of that time period so I may have to adjust. Therefore, I’ll just roll with the punches and develop the phases as I go along 🙂
ULTIMATE GOAL: MBL
MBL = Mid-Back Length
Honestly, I really don’t know what my ultimate goal is lol. It’s pretty much however long I can get it without it becoming a hassle or without me being frustrated with the length. We’ll see.
THE PLAN (yes, it is a WHOLE LOT and a bit overwhelming, so brace yourself. BUT better to have a plan than be a fish outta water with this thing lol)
1. Moisturize and Seal Daily
a. Straight Styles/Pin Curling: Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave-In + One N Only Argan Oil (both of these are lighter but still do their job)
b. Textured/Non-straight Styles: Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship + Coconut Oil (a little bit heavier)
2. Pre-Poo & Shampoo Wash (w/ moisturizing shampoo) 1x/week
– Pre-Poo with Coconut oil (LOVE that stuff!)
– Same Products that I’ve been using, including my leave-ins, which can all be found HERE. Only change is that for textured styles or when my new growth really starts coming in, I’ll be using Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship as my leave-in.
3. Massage Scalp with Castor Oil 1x/week (on wash days)
– JBCO or Regular Cold-Pressed organic brand depending on what I have
4. DC 1x/2 weeks – Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Mask during the beginning of my stretch, when there isn’t as much new growth
– Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Mask when my new growth demands more moisture/attention
5. Protein Treatment 1x/2 weeks (on the weeks I’m not DC’ing)
– ApHogee 2 Minute Reconstructor
6. Clarify 1x/month (shampoo with Sulfate to really rid the hair of product build-up)
– Silk Elements Megsilk Olive Shampoo (I used to love this before I started using sulfate-free shampoo. It is indeed a good clarifying shampoo)
7. Direct Heat Straightening 1x/month (most likely not on the same week with the clarifying…)
– Flat Iron or Blow Dry with Curling Iron
8. Dust + Search and Destroy 1x/month (when my hair is straight)
– To prevent and manage split end damage
9. Styling: Bantu Knot-Outs (not very frequently cuz they can be a little stressful on my ends), Braid Outs (every now and then), Curlfromers, Straight, Roller Sets (gonna try the saran wrap method of using this to get my hair straight), BUNS BUNS BUNS!!! Gonna definitely try to keep my hair in buns to keep my ends protected for the majority of the time.
– My styling products may change from time to time depending on what I’m doing, but I’ll definitely keep you guys updated.
10. Relaxer Stretching: 16-18 weeks ~ Relaxing 3 times/year
– Because I’m very blessed and fortunate to have a wonderful mother who knows a thing or two about doing hair, I’m gonna go back to the basics, meaning that as much as possibly I will try to have her do my relaxers at home. As much as my time and her schedule allow. It will not only save me some serious moolah (!!!) but it will also give me some control over how my hair is getting done. The home relaxer kit that I’m considering is one that some of my hair inspirations (Sunshyne from hairliciousinc.com and Megan from ulovemegz.com, among many others) tend to really like and rave about:
Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Built-In Protection
No Lye Relaxer System
11. Professional Trim 1x/year (the least amount possible lol)
12. WATER WATER WATER!!! (to help maintain my hair’s moisture balance; and of course it’s good for flushing toxins from your body and to help keep skin moisture balanced and glowing as well)
13. Exercise at least 2x/week(Starting small and realistic lol; A healthy body equals a healthy life! And also healthy hair. It increases circulation to all of your organs including your scalp, which can help stimulate healthy hair growth)
12. Co-Washing 1x/week as needed (when my hair isn’t being worn straight; to help cleanse my hair within the week if it gets pretty funky like if I’ve been working out during the week and my hair is in a style that I can recreate without too much effort; like a braid out or bun or something)
– Now this is gonna be new for me and here’s where I need YOUR help. I really don’t know what product to use! lol I’ve done some research and I have 3 Top Contenders. So what I’d like for you, my very helpful readers, to do is vote on the poll below as to which conditioner you think is the best.
Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner w/ Aloe Vera and Avocado (Silicone Free)
VO5: Herbal Escapes Strengthening Conditioner w/ Pomegranate and Grapeseed Extract
ALSO, if you have other favorites that you’d like to rave about, please feel free to leave a Comment below. I’d really appreciate any input that you have.
I think that’s it for now! I’ll be giving progress pics at least with each relaxer, but I’ll try to do it also whenever I have my hair straightened. I’m excited about this guys! I hope I stick with it without getting bored or frustrated in the middle….
If any of you guys also want to start your own personal hair journey with me, definitely feel free to share your plans! I’d love to hear about it. Until next post…
*DON’T FORGET TO: 1. Click HEREtofollow the blog and THEN 2. Click HEREto enter for the BIG Giveaway!*