Yaaay! Haven’t done one of these in a while! It’s about time!
As many of you know, this past Tuesday, March 29, 2011, gospel group Mary Mary released their sixth studio album entitled “Something Big”. And that indeed it was!
*Sidenote*: Dude, they look like TWINS in this shot with the same hair color!!! AND in the promo shot below too!
They’re also doing a campaign called “Do Something Big” as featured on their Facebook page, where they are encouraging all of their fans to take part in in 6 missions in the community that they hold near and dear to their hearts. It’s pretty cool! In addition, the duo is currently on the road touring with Bebe and Cece Winans to promote this album. They’re actually gonna be at the Lincoln Center (Washington, DC) on Wednesday, April 6, 2011 and of course, I won’t be able to make it. WOMP WOMP!!!
But on to the review! It’s pretty much gonna be in the format of me going through song by song and the thoughts that first came to my mind when I listened to the album for the very first time. So here we go!
1. Something Big – For all you Jackson 5 fans out there, you’ll be quite pleasantly surprised to hear a familiar tune in the album’s opener. The track actually samples their song “Mama’s Pearl”. But yeah, as far as the words of the song, the message reminds me of a more updated and hip version of the song “A Wonderful Change Has Come Over Me”. Not sure if that’s the title of the song but…I know that’s the chorus! lol Nice way to start of the album.
2. Something Bigger – One word. Tightness. Almost sounds like will.i.am could’ve produced it, but of course that’s not the case. Only Warryn Campbell (Erica’s hubby) does their producing (I know that’s right! Keep that money in the fam! lol)
3. Blind – really nice song to groove too while being reminded that God’s love for is completely BLIND. His love for us looks past our faults and loves us despite them all
4. It is Well – Their modern interpretation of the hymn “It is Well With My Soul”. I could really seeing this being the next big popular song to sing at funerals. No shade. It’s true and it’s a great song.
5. Never Wave My Flag – This may actually be their next single, or at least I’m assuming since it’s the one they performed on Jay Leno this past week. Might have just been because of the type of song that it IS lol. I really could see somebody on ABDC (America’s Best Dance Crew) dancing to this bad boy and killing it too! It’s a song about determination, perseverance, and strength.
6. Walking – This was the first single off this album. Basically about walking that Christian walk no matter how difficult it may get.
7. Slow Walk – A really quick interlude type thing that features both Erica and Tina of Mary Mary along with Warryn Campbell talking about slowing down and stopping to enjoy life’s moments when life gets too overwhelming and hectic.
8. Survive (listen HERE) – This track may actually be my favorite song off the album! It’s about exactly what the title says: Surviving through the tough days that may come at you throughout this life. Fave lyrics: ♫ I had to cry so many nights, I had to hold on for my life. But I….I survived ♫
9. Are You Ready (listen HERE) – Another one of my favorites from the album. When I first heard this song, i had to give it it’s own unique genre that I call gospel-folk-hiphop. Yup. You heard it here first! lol. Sidenote: I really thought the name of this song was “Get Ya Mind Right”. Don’t ask. Just listen to the song lol.
10. Catch Me – And here began the kinda CCM portion of the CD. This was a really nice song speaking on the fact that no matter how hard we try, in our human-ness He knows we’re gonna fall and because of His mercy and grace, He’s right there to catch us.
11. Sitting with Me – Another CCM influenced song. But even with these two songs, Mary Mary remains true to their powerful vocals and Gospel roots to get their music across.
12. Homecoming Glory – A little bit more of that gospel-folk-hiphop lol. But seriously. Has a sound very reminiscent of Cece Winans’ “Thy Kingdom Come” album, in my opinion. Reminding us of the hope of our heavenly home.
Overall Impression: The album is one where each song flows so beautifully into the other and each song is just so well written and powerfully sung and well produced, you really don’t want to even skip a song! I know Mary Mary especially (along with some other gospel artists who shall remain nameless lol) gets a lot of slack from a lot of people (including myself) for their lyrics sometimes being ambiguous giving their music that crossover advantage because it’s not being “in-your-face-gospel”. But on this album I guess you could say that there was a good set of “Jesus, God, Savior, Christ” etc. (yes I paid close attention….and counted lol), so that there was no confusion that this was indeed a gospel album and a gospel group.
First Impressions Rating: 10/10
Mary Mary once again makes another hit album. I loved it and I think you guys should check it out for yourselves. And if you like it, get it! LEGALLY! How you gon’ bootleg a gospel album anyway??? Now that ain’t right! lol
Til the next post…
*DON’T FORGET TO: 1. Click HERE to follow the blog and THEN 2. Click HERE to enter for the BIG Giveaway!*
Love and God Bless,