For those of you who are my friends on Facebook, then you kinda already know about this. But you guys, I am SOOOO EXCITED that JoJo has FINALLY come out with some new music!!! So for those of you who don’t know here’s 5 quick JoJo facts in no particular order:
1. JoJo is one of my favorite singers of these modern R&B times. She sings so soulfully and her music always has something to say.
2. She’s the voice behind the radio hits “Leave (Get Out)” and “Too Little Too Late”.
3. She recently had some issues with her label (they were in financial struggles) which put her in “musical limbo” where she wasn’t able to put out a record/album at all even though she’s been hard at work since her 2006 release of her album “The High Road” (which was one of those albums that I could listen to forever without skipping a single song…).
4. She recently made the transition over to Interscope records and she will be releasing her upcoming new album with them (soooo cannot wait).
5. She recently hooked up with Rap-Up.com to put out a free 11-song mixtape called “Can’t Take That Away From Me“, which you can download HERE , LEGALLY and FOR FREE (I know we all love to hear that right? lol; simply for the fans; love her! lol) with music that, although it isn’t a reflection of what will be on the new album, just shows us what she’s been experimenting with for the past few years and just how much she’s matured.
Now on to the mixtape. Simply put, on first listen to the album straight through, I was so happy. I was like “YESSSSS JOJO!” She is definitely staying true to her strong vocals with some soulful ballads, but she also has quite a few songs on there that I feel could really kill it on the airwaves and do pretty well on the Billboard Charts as well (such as “Pretty Please” for the Pop/R&B stations, “Just a Dream” (Taylor Swift-esque but better) for the Pop stations, and “Boy Without a Heart” for the Pop/Adult Contemporary/Quiet Storm stations…in my humble opinion 😀 ). If this is any indication of what’s to come on the new album, I think it will do EXTREMELY well (hopefully the masses still support good music; wishful thinking huh…*smh*).
With that said, I just wanted to share with you my favorite songs from the mixtape after my first listen. And I have four.
It’s that good. At least for me, but I get kinda hype over new music from my favorite artists 🙂 I actually rated these four songs 5 Stars in my iTunes library. After just the first listen.
THE BASS BANGERS
1. Pretty Please
2. My Time is Money (this song is one of those “I’m an independent woman so don’t try to step to me if you’re not about something” songs. Goes hard…lol)
THE SOULFUL TUNES
1. Just a Dream
2. Boy Without a Heart (Now this joint, WHOO! SAAANG JOJO! lol)
Definitely gotta give JoJo and her mixtape a 10/10 for First Impressions. I think this was a smart career move as well to get the fans (like ME!) excited for what’s to come. I’ll definitely be looking forward to that new album. Hope you guys check out the rest of the mixtape. I mean come on yall. It’s FREE! Can’t go wrong with that 🙂
Love and God Bless,